HomeExpatHow to Register in Municipality in the Netherlands

    How to Register in Municipality in the Netherlands

    An information for all the expats living in the Netherlands  who don’t know How to Register in Municipality in the Netherlands. If you are staying, or planning to stay in the Netherlands for more than four months then you need to register in the municipality (gemeente) where you are living.

    Whether you’re a Dutch citizen or an international, everyone living in the Netherlands is required to be registered at their home address. Being registered allows the municipal persons to better handle emergency situations, to track the size of the Dutch population, to keep track of all citizens and to allocate the right municipal taxes to each household.

    So, let’s see How to Register in Municipality in the Netherlands?

    Receiving BSN number from Municipality Netherlands

    One of the most important reasons to register is that you will then receive your BSN number which you need for all your administrative work in the Netherlands. This includes opening a bank account, receiving your salary, visiting a doctor, getting health insurance and applying for benefits.

    Learn How, where and when can you get a Citizen Service Number With Simple Steps?

    How to Register in Municipality Netherlands | Address Registration Netherlands

    Most gemeenten require you to register within five days of your arrival in the Netherlands. If you don’t have a fixed address when you arrive then you should register as soon as your rental contract is finalised.

    If you are doubtful about anything then it is wise to contact your gemeente to check the best approach for you. To register, you will need to make an appointment. Call your local town hall and ask for an appointment for “registration from abroad”. You will usually receive confirmation by post or email which will also list the documents you need to bring with you.

    Gemeente (town hall) contact details

    Below are the contact details of the main gemeenten in the Netherlands. For more visit the municipalities & city councils in the Netherlands page.


    • Call 14 020 or 020 255 29 09 (8am-6pm, Monday to Friday)
    • See Amsterdam’s page on registration





    The Hague


    If you have EU citizenship or a valid residence permit and all necessary documents then you will usually be registered within five working days.

    Documents required to register for BSN

    When making your appointment to register you will be told the exact documents you need to provide. The necessary documents usually include:

    • Your valid passport or ID card (not a driving licence).
    • Your residence permit (if applicable, either a sticker in your passport, a plastic ID card or letter from IND).
    • Your rental contract.
    • A certified copy of your birth certificate.
    • Your foreign marriage certificate, certificate of registered partnership or divorce 

    Note that town halls only accept official documents in Dutch, English, French or German, so you may need to get an official translation for other languages. Some documents, such as your birth certificate, may also require proof of authenticity (legalisatie) such as an apostille, which you will need to get before leaving your home country.

    Penalties for not registering

    Remaining unregistered or registering at the wrong address is not permitted. As of June 1, 2015 the Amsterdam gemeente has introduced fines of up to 325 euros for people who fail to register at the correct address, to notify the municipality of their change of address on time or to present all relevant documents.

    Registering for a short term | Temporary Registration Netherlands

    If you are staying in the Netherlands for less than four months but you are working or studying, you will need a BSN number. If this is the case, you can register as a non-resident (RNI) with the Personal Records Database (BRP) at one of the following 19 RNI-municipalities. Once you are registered, you will be given your BSN number.

    Changing address

    If you are not registering for the first time and you are just changing address within the Netherlands then you can register your new address on the websites of most gemeenten using your DigiD code, or at the town hall in your new town or neighbourhood.

    How to Register in Municipality in the Netherlands

    Registering using a correspondence address

    You can register under a correspondence address, In case you don’t have a home address (yet). This address is temporary and an administrative address only. For instance, the address of a family member or a colleague. 

    The correspondence address must be a recognised address in the BRP; you cannot use a P.O. box or a non-residential address (i.e. someone must be living at the address) as your correspondence address. Also, you must have a written declaration of consent from the person who is living at said address correspondence address.

    To register under a correspondence address, you need to go to the municipality where the address is situated. Check the municipality’s website for the necessary forms and other requirements. 

    How to Deregister from Municipality

    About one month before departing from the Netherlands, expats need to de-register at their local town hall, and this is free of charge.

    Hope you got clarity on How to Register in Municipality in the Netherlands. Comment if you found the post on How to Register in Municipality in the Netherlands useful:)

    Beware of the Scams in the Netherlands, Checkout, Scam Alert!! Phishing calls for BSN number in the Netherlands.

    Keep exploring...

    Related Articles

    Unlocking the 30% Ruling: Your Guide to Tax Benefits in the Netherlands

    The 30% Ruling is a tax benefit available in the Netherlands for highly skilled expats, providing a tax-free allowance of up to 30% of their gross salary. This benefit is intended to compensate for the additional expenses of living and working in the Netherlands, reducing the tax burden and increasing the net income for expats. Furthermore, the 30% Ruling can last for up to 5 years, offering long-term financial planning opportunities. The application process is relatively simple, and employers can benefit from reduced administrative burdens. Overall, the 30% Ruling can significantly benefit both expats and employers, while also contributing to the international competitiveness of the Netherlands.

    How to Apply for Schengen Sports Visa

    There are a few ways to potentially obtain a visa for the Netherlands based...

    Top 10 SIM Provider In The Netherlands and Europe

    SIM Provider In The Netherlands If you just moved to the Netherlands or planning to...

    Compare Best Energy Provider in Netherlands

    Energy Provider in Netherlands We are always talking about using green energy in order to...

    List of 5 Best Banks in the Netherlands for Expats

    When we move to a new country as an expat, one crucial thing to...

    Top 15 Interesting Hobbies That Can Make Money in the Netherlands

    What is your favourite hobby? Do you think you can earn money from it?...

    A Guide to Open Bank Account in The Netherlands

    If you planning to stay in the Netherlands for a long time, there is...

    Common Dutch Words That You Need To Know Before Traveling To the Netherlands

    The Dutch are the most proficient English speakers who are not native speakers. As...